Organizations and businesses can reap myriad benefits after adopting cloud services. This technology simplifies tasks and makes data processing more efficient. It also enhances data management, where information becomes readily available and can be updated in real-time.
Quick access to data also encourages collaboration across various levels. Cloud adoption automates tasks and promotes productivity. As a business and technical decision, cloud adoption is both cost-effective and sustainable.
While there are apparent advantages in shifting towards cloud computing, companies often struggle to move data, apps, and other elements to a hosted environment. Concerns regarding data security and compounding costs arise that institutions often perform careful consideration as to how they approach cloud migration, and if whether or not it provides long-term benefits.
Cloud adoption and migration are essential if businesses want to thrive beyond the ongoing pandemic. A comprehensive migration strategy and a complementary cloud service provider can ensure a smooth transition for all institutions.
Cloud Migration Strategy
A cloud migration strategy serves as a guide for the company’s eventual implementation of cloud services. It identifies which types of data require movement and those that can be retained in-house. The plan also estimates the cost and the kind of migration that is most suitable for the business.
Businesses can choose whether cloud services are more ideal to re-host, refactor, or rebuild their IT capabilities. One of the most well-known cloud migration strategies is called Ellucian Migration.
What You Should Know About Ellucian Migration
An Ellucian migration is a migration strategy that companies should consider. This type of cloud migration is easy to implement, as it only requires a transfer of OS and hardware management to a cloud.
In essence, this method serves as a ‘re-hosting’ for your IT infrastructure without interrupting your services. Ellucian Migration is a popular choice among businesses and organizations for the following reasons:
- It is quick and cost-effective. Ellucian Migration incorporates lift and shift which allows easy migration without interruption of services. It is also faster than other forms of migration since it does not require any changes or modifications. OS and hardware are transferred ‘as-is’ to the cloud.
- Adds capacity and storage, as well as substantial bandwidth on a pay-by-use basis. Businesses do not need to purchase additional hardware to improve their data storage and application management capabilities.
- It is the most practical among various types of cloud migration as it retains business control over data and applications.
- Eliminates data security and productivity concerns since the migration technique poses minimal risks. Cloud migration can also strengthen data protection through additional risk-management tools such as encrypted cloud storage, password generators, and the use of two-factor authentication.
- Serves as a step towards a hybrid cloud. Facilitates easy transfer of applications to a private or public cloud while other applications and workloads remain on-premises.
Time for Cloud Migration
Cloud migration is the new normal. As more and more transactions are shifting towards a digital platform, cloud migration is essential if businesses want to thrive during the pandemic and beyond. Such technology not only ensures data is shared and accessible by workers in various remote stations, but it also reduces costs in maintaining hardware and other IT systems.
The advantages of cloud migration are not only for short-term challenges such as the pandemic, as this can also help companies leverage their computing abilities, automate processes, and inspire growth initiatives.