The CISM certification is awarded to professionals who are seeking to pursue a career in security management. The certification exam is designed to evaluate an individual’s knowledge, skills, and experience in the development and management of information security program. There is currently a high demand for professional information security management and the CISM certificate is a well-recognized and globally accepted credential to validate your achievement and competence in this area. A CISM certified professional understands how to adapt and manage technology to their business enterprise and industry.
By earning this credential, you demonstrate your understanding and knowledge of the relationship between information security program and wider business objectives and goals. CISM puts you in an elite network and also distinguishes you as an experienced and knowledgeable professional in the development and management of the information security program. If you are looking at growing your career in the IT industry, the CISM certificate is a top credential you should consider. Employers in the private and public sectors are in great need of professionals with the CISM certification. This is basically because of the job portfolio they can handle at a stretch. As a professional with this certificate, you are believed to have the following capacity:
- Recognize important issues and customize organization specific practices to support related technologies and the governance of information.
- Take an extensive view of information systems security management and their connection to organizational success.
- Bring credibility to your organization.
- Demonstrate to organization customers your commitment to security, integrity, and compliance which eventually add to the attraction and retention of customers.
- Offer your organization the information security management certification that is accepted among multinational enterprises and clients to lend credibility to the company.
There are many career potentials that are open to professionals with the CISM certification. So, are you interested in earning this credential? Below are the details of how you can go about this.
Pass the CISM Certification Exam
Before you can earn this certificate, you need to score a passing standard grade in the CISM test. It is important to mention that the passing score of the exam is only valid for a period of five years if you don’t complete the required work experience as will be detailed below. If you do not meet the certification requirements of CISM within a period of five years, your passing score will be nullified.
Acceptance of the Code of Professional Ethics
Before you can earn the CISM certification, you will need to agree to the Code of Professional Ethics. This code is designed to guide members of ISACA and holders of the CISM credential on personal and professional conduct. It is important that you abide by the code of professional ethics while working as a CISM certified professional as default in your operation can have consequences on your career.
Policy of Education Continuation
You are expected to also abide by the CISM Continuing Education Policy. The policy is designed with the following objectives in mind:
- To sustain a professional’s competency level so as to ensure that all CISM certified professionals maintainsufficient level of proficiency and current knowledge. Professionals who comply with the policy successfully will be well equipped to design, manage, assess, and oversee an organization’s information security.
- To offer means of delineation between certified CISMs and those that have not met the prerequisites for the continuation of their CISM certification.
All CISM certified professionals are expected to pay maintenance fees as well as utilize at least 20 contact hours of CPE on a yearly basis. In addition to this, a minimum of 120 contact hours is needed during the 3 years fixed period. You can visit the official website of ISACA to ready the CISM Continuing Education Policy. The document is available in English, Korean, Spanish, and Japanese.
Skills and Work Experience
Before you can do the exam you should practice with CISM certification exam questions and you will be required to submit a verified evidence of above five-year work experience in Information Security role. Within this five years period, a minimum of three years must have been spent in information security management department working in three or more of the enumerated areas of job practice analysis. This work experience must have been gained for ten years before the application date for the CISM credential or within 5 years from the date of taking the certification exam.
In earning the credential, there are some experience substitutions that can be applied, depending on your level of experience. We have detailed below some security related certification and Information Security management experience that can be used as substitution.
- CISA, Certified Information Systems Auditor
- CISSP, Certified Information Security Professional
- The degree of a post-graduate studentin IS or a relevant field, such as information system orassurance, business administration
- 1-year work experience in IS management
- 1-year work experience in general security management
- Security certificates, such as Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE), CompTIA Security +, ESL IT Security Manager, or Global Information Assurance Certification (GIAC)
- Completion of a program in IS management from an institution that is in alignment with the Model Curriculum
It is important to point out that experience substitutions will not be appropriate for any portion of the three years work experience requirements in information security management. An exception to this rule is a 2-year period as a full time university instructor lecturing on management of information security. This work experience can substitute for every one year experience in information security.
As soon as you pass and complete your CISM certification exam and you meet the specific work experience requirements, the next and final step is to submit a completed CISM Application for Certification. You can access the application file at isaca.org/CISMApp.
Earning the CISM certification is a great way to boost your career chances in the Information Technology industry. There are many job potentials that are open to you. So, if you are ready to give your career a push, take the exam and become a CISM certified specialist.