Samsung’s recall of the Galaxy Note7 was costly and damaging to the brand. Particularly because a fix was thought to be found and then a second recall was needed, the fire risk from the Samsung Galaxy Note7 became probably the tech story of 2016. Samsung has released a report to detail their findings and created an infographic to share the findings of the report.
In the first battery, the negative electrode on the battery was deflected and the tip was incorrectly located in the curve. The second battery suffered from high welding burns, which penetrated the insulation tape, allowing direct contact between the negative and positive electrodes.
For more information, see the announcement on the Samsung Newsroom.