Google provided an Android Security State of the Union 2014 yesterday. It addresses steps they have taken to make Android a safe ecosystem and how they responded to learning of new vulnerabilities. The result is a 44 page report available as a PDF.
It’s lengthy, so if you’ve only got a minute, we pulled out a few of the key findings here:
- Over 1 billion devices are protected with Google Play which conducts 200 million security scans of devices per day.
- Fewer than 1% of Android devices had a Potentially Harmful App (PHA) installed in 2014. Fewer than 0.15% of devices that only install from Google Play had a PHA installed.
- The overall worldwide rate of Potentially Harmful Application (PHA) installs decreased by nearly 50% between Q1 and Q4 2014.
- SafetyNet checks over 400 million connections per day for potential SSL issues.
- Android and Android partners responded to 79 externally reported security issues, and over 25,000 applications in Google Play were updated following security notifications from Google Play.
You can read the full report here: Google Report Android Security 2014 Year in Review