It seems Adobe’s lifecycle for a Acrobat and Reader version is just under two years as Acrobat X was announced back in October 2010. Continuing the process, Adobe announced Acrobat XI and Adobe Reader XI today. They are expected to ship within 30 days with Acrobat 11 being available for pre-order and Reader 11 will be available for download on ship day.
Acrobat XI boasts new cloud services like Adobe EchoSign and Adobe FormsCentral, amongst new features and updates. Adobe wrote some details on the Adobe Document Services blog and included even more in the press release:
With Adobe Acrobat XI, new and improved features and functionality for business professionals now include:
- Edit PDF files, modify paragraphs, images, and objects by simply clicking and dragging using the new, intuitive Edit Text and Images tool. Arrange and visually merge select content and multiple documents into one organized PDF file, while retaining source file integrity.
- Expedite document and Web contract approvals from weeks to hours with electronic signatures using the integrated Adobe EchoSign electronic signature service. Simplify forms creation, distribution and results analysis using the included Adobe FormsCentral desktop app.
- Enhanced mobile capabilities. Work with PDF files across tablets and smartphones in touch-friendly Adobe Reader to annotate and add comments, as well as fill in, sign and save forms.
- Save PDF documents as PowerPoint, Word or Excel files or reuse parts of or entire PDF files as Microsoft Office documents and Web pages without retyping or need to reformat.
- Improved protection of all PDF files created from Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, and Excel to help prevent copying, editing, or printing without permission.
The new and improved IT features and functionality now enable IT professionals to:
- Standardize on an easy to use, full-featured, consistent, trusted PDF Reader now with full support for iPads and Android tablets. Additionally, deliver Acrobat XI and Reader XI as a centrally managed, touch-friendly, virtual application with new support for Microsoft App-V via Citrix XenApp.
- Integrate Adobe Acrobat XI more seamlessly with Microsoft Office and Microsoft SharePoint, enabling users to do more with PDF in an Office or SharePoint environment.
- Streamline deployment and maintenance with free Adobe tools to aid configuration and installation, as well as enhanced support for Microsoft SCCM/SCUP and Apple Remote Desktop.
Acrobat XI Standard is expected to be US$299 ($139 upgrade).
Acrobat XI Pro is expected to be US$449 ($199 upgrade).
Adobe EchoSign starts at $14.95/month.
The Adobe FormsCentral subscription pricing starts at $14.99/month.
Adobe Reader XI got its own list of features on the Adobe Reader Blog.
- Full commenting features, including text, stamps, file attachments and audio recordings, as well as drawing markups, like lines, arrows, shapes and free-form annotations
- Fill, sign, save and send your forms – and save the planet while you’re at it!
- Store files on Acrobat.com for access from multiple devices
- Support for OS X Mountain Lion and Windows 8 with new “touch-mode” for optimal tablet interaction
- Create PDF or Export PDF files to Word and Excel online
- Enhanced Protected Mode now includes data theft prevention capabilities
- New Protected View implements a separate desktop and winstation for the UI, which provides an additional layer of defense
- Elliptic Curve Cryptography support for digital signatures
- Citrix XenApp enhancements for better performance
- New App-V support, including a Package Accelerator
- GPO Template for the most common enterprise settings
- Enhanced support for Microsoft SCCM/SCUP and Apple Remote Desktop
- Configuration Wizard for the Mac
There are a lot of gems in that feature list. A GPO Template! Mac Configuration Wizard! Windows 8 “touch-mode”! It sounds like something to look forward do but also a lot of changes on the horizon to adapt.
Beyond Acrobat and Reader, Adobe has also introduced Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 today, which is available now.