In the tech career, there eventually comes a fork in the road where you have to decide if becoming management or specializing in your technology skills is the path you want to continue on. If you head into management, titles like CIO or CTO might be what you end up striving for. Nowadays, you also have companies listing job openings for ‘ninjas’, ‘rock stars’, ‘badass’ or ‘jedis’ of all kinds like a ‘C# Rock Star’. Even with those fun, attention-grabbing job titles, there are still some others that may not have existed only a few years ago.
Chief Internet Evangelist at Google. Currently held by Vint Cerf.
Chief Hacking Officer at KnowBe4. Currently held by Kevin Mitnick.
Jolly Good Fellow at Google (that nobody can deny). Currently held by Chade Meng-Tan.
Mighty Eagle at Rovio. Currently held by Peter Vesterbacka, also holds Chief Marketing Officer title.
Intergalactic Federation King Almighty and Commander of the Universe at Google. Currently held by Tiffany Montague, handling Google’s space-related projects.
IT Pro Evangelist at Microsoft. I never thought there would be so many evangelist positions that weren’t on TV or at the pulpit.
Key responsibilities of the role are:
• Drive satisfaction with Microsoft, Microsoft tools and Microsoft platform technologies
• Drive adoption of next generation virtualization technologies, Windows client platform and private cloud adoption
• Lead Microsoft-driven events such as TechNet Events and product launches
• Engage the broad IT professional community in partnership with community leaders
• Engage with the broad IT professional audience through online channels
Genius at Apple Inc. If you want a boost to your ego, you could become a ‘genius’ and work at the Genius Bar in Apple Stores to provide support to walk-in customers of Apple products.
Know of any others? Any of these that you’re striving to get promoted to in your career or will you make up a new title that doesn’t exist yet?