On the TiVo Blog today, TiVo has revealed the details of the next evolution of their DVR: The TiVo Premiere Elite. The Premiere Elite expands on the previous enjoyed TiVo Premiere updates with two big improvements: two terabytes of storage for 300 hours of HD recordings and the ability to record four channels simultaneously while watching a fifth.
Imagine a set-top box so sophisticated it combines digital cable channels and the world’s most advanced DVR with the best entertainment from the web—from content partners like Netflix, Pandora® and Hulu Plus™. Now imagine that it also delivers the ability to record four shows at once while watching a fifth, and the capacity to record an industry-leading up to 300 hours of HD programming.
I have the TiVo Premiere and have only run into a few instances where the channel had to be changed to record something scheduled but I imagine that frequency would increase with more people setting recordings. The AT&T U-Verse with IPTV I had briefly at an old apartment was able to do up to 4 recordings at a time and the TiVo Premiere Elite is even topping that by allowing you to view a 5th. Now if there were only 5 shows on at a time that were worth watching.
One of the features I would like TiVo to add would be the ability to stream shows from a network location and to stream shows from the TiVo to elsewhere. Currently, those abilities somewhat exist but only with a slow full transfer first. You can stream music and photos from a network location but still not video. The Premiere Elite will boast these features:
- 4 tuners enable you to record up to 4 shows at once
- 2 terabytes of recording capacity provides up to 300 hours of HD programming
- Easy access to broadband entertainment providers like Netflix, Pandora, Hulu Plus, BLOCKBUSTER®, Amazon and YouTube™
- Streams music and photos from any home network and the web
- World’s only THX® Certified DVR for optimal sound and video fidelity
- Free TiVo App for iPad® and iPhone® provides a richer TV experience
- Supports HDMI compliant splitters with up to 16 HDMI ports
- MoCA® support (including MoCA bridge)
But all of this is pending a response from the FCC…
Pending FCC approval of TiVo’s request to waive a requirement to include analog tuners, The TiVoPremiere Elite will be available by the end of the year through tivo.com, authorized home theater installers and Magnolia stores nationwide. For more information on the product and to sign up for notifications of availability please visit www.tivo.com/elite.