Kalid Azad, the brains behind InstaCalc, (who is also a swell guy in general to talk to) runs a blog titled Better Explained. The name says it all as BE strives to explain concepts, software development tactics and tools, and even math topics in simple, image-based lessons. I’d like to highlight one of these posts as Worthwhile Reading: A visual Guide to Version Control.
If you’ve heard the name Subversion or Sourcesafe but had no idea what they were or wanted a better understanding of how these systems worked and their benefits, just clicky-click on that link. Here it is again if you missed your chance the first time.
Three popular Version Control Systems are listed below:
- Subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org/
- Git (http://git.or.cz/)
- MS Visual Sourcesafe (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2005/aa718670.aspx)
If after reading the Better Explained article you’re looking for more advanced write-ups you’ll probably find the series of articles, Source Control HOWTO, helpful and interesting from fellow University of Illinois alum, Eric Sink.
Latest posts by Jason Hamilton (see all)
- PDFMate offers free PDF Merger and Converter tools - May 17, 2013
- Free security software tools from HBGary - May 16, 2013
- Catincan – a crowdfunding site for open source projects - May 15, 2013