Google has previously provided a tour of their data center using Google Street View. Now, in a post about security, Google provides a video about one of their data centers. They show several layers of security as well as energy efficiency.
In their Google for Work post on security in 2014, Google talked about several other accomplishments when it comes to security:
- We offered encryption as a default for Gmail since 2010, but this year we made sure every single email you send or receive is also encrypted while moving internally between our data centers.
- We released End-to-End, a Chrome extension that encrypts information between your browser and the intended recipient and yesterday, we made it available to the community.
- We ensured that all files uploaded to Google Drive are encrypted at rest on Google servers — in addition to in transit, as they are shared on the web.
- We launched a physical security key that provides second-factor authentication through your computer’s USB port, and we are working on admin tools to let you deploy this at scale in your organization.
- We gave business users controls to share responsibility with IT, providing a wizard to secure your account and a new dashboard to monitor device activity.
- We made it easier to secure devices in the workplace with the new security features in Android 5.0 Lollipop.
- We rebuilt our device management solution to support iOS 7, 8 and the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.